THE ROLE OF PUBLIC RELATION AS A TOOL FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE INDUSTRY ( A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIAN TELEVISION AUTHORITY ENUGU SERVICES TO SELECTED FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS)
This research work tilled “ Public Relations as a tool for Customer Attraction and Retention in the service Industry ( A case study of NTA Enugu services to some selected financial institutions)” was carried out with the objective of:
– Finding out the impact of public relations on consumer patronage of NTA Services
– Finding out of public relations a successful tool in attracting and retaining customers.
– Finding out which public relations tools are most effective.
– Recommending what can be done to maintain and enhance public relations and its positive effect on the company.
In achieving the above objectives, related literature were reviewed on how public relations can be effective to service industries.
In addition secondary and primary data were collected from customers of NTA station Enugu.
Population of the study impresses both relevant staff and management of NTA, two service companies which are NICON Insurance and Union Bank was studied.
A population of 21 was used for the staff of NTA while 55 was used for the consumers. The researcher used census survey because the population is small and could be studied completely.
According to questionnaire collected and interview conducted relevant data were analyzed and hypotheses tested.
The analyzed data brought out the followings:
– That public relation as a vital tool in attracting customers
– Also that public relations helps NTA in attracting and relating it’s numerous customers.
– That without effective and efficient public relations activities on the services industry (NTA) I customer relationship can not be cordial and this companies can never satisfy their customers let alone retaining them.
Based on the findings the following recommendations were made.
– A market oriented public relations department should be built by the management of all service industries especially NTA Enugu.
– Public relations tools employed by a company can attract and retain patronage. The impact of these tools on consumers can only be determined though researching into public relations activities so that the consumer will be satisfied.
– Every staff of NTA should always be conscious of their treatment to customers. Although a majority of those respondents claimed to have a satisfactory relationship with the staff on NTA. It is not a bad idea of all the respondents have the some vie. This will give an edge to the firm over their competitors.
If the above suggestions and recommendation are effectively and efficiently followed, the Nigeria Authority (NTA) will witness an increase in their customer patronage and thereby reap the benefit of a positive button life on an going base.
TABLE OF CONTENT
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
1.2 BACKGROUND OF NTA ENUGU
1.3 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
1.4 OBJECTIVE OF STUDY
1.5 HYPOTHESIS FORMULATION
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
1.7 LIMITATIONS OF STUDY
1.8 DEFINITIONS OF TERMS
2.1 PUBLIC RELATIONS DEFINED
2.2 OBJECTIVE OF PUBLIC RELATIONS
2.3 MEDIA USED IN PUBLIC RELATIONS
2.4 MIX FOR SERVICES MARKETING
2.5 WHO IS A CUSTOMER
2.6 WHAT IS CUSTOMERS ATTRACTION/RETENTION
2.7 THE IMPACT OF PUBLIC RELATIONS ON CUSTOMERS
2.8 ATTRACTION AND RETENTION ON THE SERVICE INDUSTRY
2.9 PUBLIC RELATIONS AS A TOOL FOR ATTRACTION AND RETENTION CUSTOMERS IN NTA SERVICES .23
3.1 SOURCE OF DATA
3.2 POPULATION OF STUDY
3.3 DETERMINATION OF SAMPLE SIZE
3.4 RESEARCH INSTRUMENT USED
3.5 QUESTIONNAIRE ADMINISTRATION AND RESPONSE RATE
3.6 METHOD OF DATA ANALYSIS
DATA PRESENTATION, ANALYSIS AND INTERPRETATION
4.1 DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
4.2 TESTING OF HYPOTHESIS
SUMMARY OF FINDINGS, RECOMMENDATIONS AND CONCLUSIONS
5.0 SUMMARY OF FINDINGS’
1.1 BACKGRONUD TO THE STUDY
The important attacked to a customers perception of a company’s image, very from company to company and from one country to another. In the developed and industrialized countries such as U. S.A. and Sapan when marketing is practiced to the letter, such perception is give utmost attention. In Nigeria where Nigerians are only past beginning to cultivate marketing culture, only few companies attack significance to this. Through there may be pubic relation department existing in most firms they are not marketing oriented.
It is easier for a product manufacturer to thrive without a good image to his pubic than a service provide. That is why the production and product concept were difficult to change. When an individual is in dire need of an offering. He least considers the image of the outerprice producing it. This is however not possible in the service industry. Pubic relation is an important as the industry itself except for situation where such service are rare.
The television industry is fastly growing and becoming more competitive. The some customs are sambaed for due to the peculiar nature of service, one of the ways of convincing customer of quality output is by projecting a good corporate image. This is because in service provision. Manufacturers and customers have a direct relationship which cold be adverse or favorable, this determines to a longer extent customer loyalty. Through effectiveness and efficiency in the promotional mix yield a signergistice result with regards to customers attraction and retention , the manner in which any programme presented creates a perception in the customer mind.
According to the institute of public relation, public relation in the deliberate, planned and sustained effort to establish and maintain mutual understanding between an organization and it’s public.
In Webster’s third New International Dictionary it was defined as:
– The promotion of good report and good will between a person, firm or institution and other person’s special public or community at large though the distribution of interchanged and the assessment of public reaction
– The degree of understanding and good will achieved between individual, organization or institution and the public
– The act or science of developing reciprocal understanding and good will
– Ebul (1995.306) public relation is relationship between a firm and it’s numerous public. It is also a management activities planned to shape and affect the attitude and behaviour of the public.
NTA Enugu like other NTA production centers is structured into six divisions for effective management namely: Engineering, Programmes, News and current Affairs; Administration, commercial and Account. The station has a staff strength of 365 which is also largest within the authority. The station has a 10KW Thomson CSF transmitter which in installed in 1982 and commissioned in for programme transmission in the same year has an effective rediated power (ERP) of over 100KW. NTA Enugu not only blankets the entire Enugu state within clear television signals but the station is also received clearly in nine neighboring state including; Anambra, Abia, Akw-Ibom, Benus, Ebonyi, Edo, Delta, Kogi and Imo.
NTA Enugu is renowned for its excellence in programme production some of these prgormames provided are drama, musical documentary and current affairs
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
Out of the promotional mix variables in marketing, public relation seems to be the only tool appealing of customer emotions. This is because it involves the firm and customer directly and leaves a lasting impression on the customer’s mind. Nigerian Television Authority Enugu though the oldest television station in Enugu is still trying to maintain its standard among other television station like ESBS and MST could this be as a result of its experience and performance? Is the company’s image so favourable to customers?
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
From the problem deduced. This research work has the following objectives.
– To find out if the public relations is a successful tool in attracting customer.
– To find out the impact of public relations on consumers patronage of NTA services
– To recommend what can be done to maintain and enhance public relations, and its positive effect on the company.
– To find out which public relations tools in most effective.
1.4 HYPOTHESES FORMULATION
Hypotheses for this research work are:
Ho: Customers are not attracted by the public relations programmes of the NTA
Hi: Customers are attracted by the public relations programme of the NTA
Ho2 The station’s public relations programmes are not retained in the mind of the customers.
H2 The station’s public relations programme are retained in the mind of the customers.
Ho3 The company’s image or not positively projected through its public relations activities
H3 The company’s image is positively projected through it’s public relations activities.
Ho4 Company’s public relations activities do not affect the profit favourably.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
This study will be of immense benefit to the broadcast sector especially Nigeria Television Authority to determine the extent of the effectiveness of their public relation activities on consumers. In addition it will help the company attached to its co- operate image by the customers.
Since services are essentially. Intangible, steps taken to tangiblize the intangible appeals to customers, and thus can invite or sear them. The study will enable the firm to take appropriate step in tangibility services. Also beside other promotional tools which informs, persuade and remind consumers public relations has a long lasting impact and tend to cost loss especially for services.
The study will also help the NTA station to determine the extent of the effectiveness of their public relations activities on customers. Knowledge of the feelings of the public on their activities will help them to make amendment and correct misconceptions (of any) when and where. Necessary.
This in term will make them to have an edge above its competitors and customer’s patronage will automatically increase.
A good practice of public relations by the station will encourage service industries (consumer) to appreciate the need for public relations. By so doing the company’s image will be favorable projected and increase profit will automatically be the out come.
The researcher also will benefit from the work since the study is part of her academics profession. A through knowledge of public relation activities will help her in the practice of her profession (marketing)
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
For the purpose of the study, the research work was limited to Enugu metropolis. It was carried out with Nigerian Television Authority as its case study. It unfolded the impact of public relations in attracting and retaining customers.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Services: Activities benefits or satisfaction offered for sale where there is no exchange of tangible good involving a transfer of tittle.
Customers: One who patronizes a give offering product or service of an organization
Publics: Group of people who an organization set to satisfy through their product or services . people who come in contract with the organization while trying to achieve it’s objectives.
Mix: Variable brought together to produce synergistic result.