INVESTIGATE A SURVEY ON THE AFTERCARE SERVICE AND REINTEGRATION OF EX-CONVICTS IN NIGERIA
- Format: Ms Word Document
- Pages: 78
- Price: N 3,000
- Chapters: 1-5
- Get the Complete Project
1.1 Background to the Study
1.2 Statement of the Problem
1.3 Purpose of the Study
The purpose of this study is to examine the aftercare service and reintegration of ex-convicts in Nigeria, Specifically, the objectives of the study are:
- To examine the obstacles to reintegrating ex-convicts .
- To ascertain the state of reformation and rehabilitation programmes in Nigeria Prisons Service in Akwa Ibom State.
- To ascertain the efficacy of the aftercare service in Akwa Ibom State
1.4 Research Questions
- What are the obstacles to the reintegration of ex-convicts in Akwa Ibom State?
- What is the state of reformation/rehabilitation programmes in Nigeria Prison Service in Akwa Ibom State?
- How effective are the Aftercare Services in Akwa Ibom State?
1.5 Research Hypotheses
- There is no relationship between the quality of reintegration programmes in the prison and successful reintegration into society after discharge.
- There is no relationship between the condition of prisons and successful reintegration into society after discharge.
1.6 Significance of the Study
The findings of this study will help other researchers to carry out a qualitative and comprehensive analysis of aftercare service in other states of the federation. The result of this study will help to further educate the academic community on Nigerian prisons service strategic roles and challenges. It will give the prisoners an insight of what they will face on being released as such they could be motivated to engage in occupational and vocational training in order to make them self-reliant on discharge. It will make government to take steps in putting up a legal framework for comprehensive reform of the Nigerian prison system. The study will further assist the government to formulate crime control policy. The present policy of the government is to get criminals out of circulation by imprisonment. Less attention is paid to what happens when the convicted prisoner is released back into the society.
1.7 Scope and limitation of the Study
The study is delimited to the aftercare unit of prison in Uyo, Eket, Ikot Ekpene, Abak and Ikot Abasi. Ex-prisoners, Non-governmental Organisations (NGOs), Employers of Labour and Community leaders in Akwa Ibom State were involved in the study. This study is limited to Akwa Ibom State. The reason for choosing Akwa Ibom State includes its proximity to the researcher, and the familiarity of the researcher with the area which facilitated the collection of data.
1.8 Definition of key concepts
Aftercare services: This is a scheme introduced by the Nigerian prison service for the treatment and rehabilitation of discharged prisoners. The scheme is aimed at facilitating the re-integration of ex-convicts into the society through collaboration with NGOs, Employers of labour, community leaders etc.